Thursday, January 20, 2011

So what do you do all winter?

That's the question I'm asked most often when I run into Highlands' members in town throughout the winter, generally followed by: "...must be nice to have six months off."

Yes, it is nice.
No, we don't go away (bin der, dun dat, as the saying goes).
The world's a different place nowadays, so travel has less appeal for us both.

My reply generally begins with "Do you recall how crowded it was on the patio during golf season?"  People nod in agreement, laughing, when I say:  "I'm making more..."

More what?  Palms.  Palms...oh yes...those lovely, swaying-in-the-breeze and whipping-you-in-the-face thingys on three sides of the clubhouse patio all summer long. 

And there's always room for a few more, so here we go:

Cocos nucifera, under lights during winter



















Wodyetia bifurcata (Foxtail palm) seedlings are growing nicely


       
Nannorhops ritchiana, Pritchardia hillebrandii, Chamaerops humilis   

...with more still to germinate. 


















There's also the Trachycarpus fortunei in the heated palm hut to look after.

33+ (yes!) year old Trachycarpus fortunei

"I'm so bored, I'm waiting for this Roomba to move so I have something to play with," moans Kia.


...winter!  (yawn)
...did you see it move?  think I did...

It'll soon be late-March, and the start of the golf season...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share YOUR thoughts here...