Monday, December 14, 2015

Quiz Question on MWP Quandry


Even those of us who have been paying attention to the Master Water Plan review--and have waded through the Technical Memoranda--didn't know the answer to this question:

  Question:  Greater Vernon Water is proud of their two water sources:  Kal Lake and Duteau Creek because the two sources are interchangeable.  GVW could provide all of the water from Mission Hill Water Treatment Plant to all of their North Okanagan customers.  Yes they can.  So why don't they considering that winter treatment costs at DCWTP are $363/ML, with MHWTP at only $83/ML?

Asked the question, I came up with answer after answer.
Incorrect answer after incorrect answer.

My replies? 
  •  DC fills Goose Lake; the alternative would be to install a “steady pump year round” (if I can call it that) at OK Lake to fill Goose Lake?
  • Because everybody in Coldstream/Lavington is above the magic ~438m elevation and there are no pumps to send it up here?  Plus no pressure even if they could…and obviously with no pressure, there’s no fire protection?
  • Because we haven’t transferred upland water license to use more of Kal Lake which supplies MH?
  • Or because they have to lower DC to prevent flooding in Lumby before the irrigation season in Lav/Coldstrm starts up?


AAAARGH!
My replies were each incorrect.
So I dutifully gave up and asked for the correct answer.

Sit down (...haven't we been doing that a lot lately):

"Contractual obligation.  We need all the staff in the summer." 
Greater Vernon Water official


DCWTP winter O&M costs are
437.3493975903615 %
higher than
 MHWTP winter O&M costs.

"I think I just swallowed my tongue," gasps Kia.

There's an emoticon for the scenario, but I can't even spell it to find it.

Funny thing...I recall during my working career at Riverside Forest Products that there was a unionized (IWA) category entitled Permanent Part-Time.  I suppose that never occurred to GVW.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share YOUR thoughts here...