Thursday, May 29, 2014

Maya Angelou Passes at 86


Sad she's gone, even though I hadn't seen her on television for many years.
Maya Angelou had a profound impact on me almost 40 years ago.

It was a little thing really.
Yet the admiration I felt for the woman--nearly 40 years ago--has stayed with me to this day.
I can't even remember what TV show it was.
Or its host.

Today's headline in The Province "Writer Maya Angelou inspired optimism" and quote "You'll never hear me complain.  I will protest, but I will not complain," (January 2009 Bloomberg News)  reminded me of a program where Ms. Angelou was being interviewed.

Seated beside Maya was Leslie Caron, the French film actress.  Maya Angelou immediately had a strong impact on me...and no doubt, also on Leslie Caron.

The topic came around to the Presidential inauguration (again--forgot whether they referred to Gerald Ford, or Carter two years later).  The topic of the Presidential inauguration was raised and a lively discussion followed about the throngs of people who lined the streets to welcome the new President. 

Leslie Caron sat silently during the minutes-long discussion between Maya and the host, Leslie wearing the "pouty" self-aggrandizing expression which had become her public face following film successes.

As the topic waned, the host asked Leslie Caron what she thought of the Presidential inauguration, presumably because she was working in America at the time.

Her reply:  "Too much pomp and circumstance!" to which Maya Angelou turned to Leslie Caron--in a very deliberate shifting in her chair--and replied:  "And you'd know all about pomp and circumstance, wouldn't you?"

Leslie Caron's ashen visage almost shattered.
I think I cheered.
If anyone knows pomp and circumstance, it is the French.

That was the day Maya Angelou became my role model.
Even before she read her poem "On the Pulse of Morning" at Clinton's inauguration in 1993

She didn't complain; she protested.
Matter-of-factly to Leslie Caron's stony face.

"Me doth think you protest too much," offers Kia, grinning.

Rest in peace, Maya Angelou, the world will remember you with admiration.

Maya Angelou, dead at 86.

"I will protest, but I will not complain."




1 comment:

  1. Very nice sentiment. Thank you for sharing them . Cheers Shawn

    ReplyDelete

Share YOUR thoughts here...