Sunday, May 11, 2014

Multi (Mini) Material BC


Yes it is.
Anybody notice that plastic bread bags are not permitted in the blue boxes?
I did.

Remember that Loblaws Company is one of the "industry" companies that developed British Columbia's new recycling program that starts May 19th.
And hood-winked our government to accept the program.

So what's the problem with Loblaws?

Well, as it turns out, Loblaws is owned by George Weston Ltd.
Among other things, George Weston Ltd. is the largest producer of bakery goods in Canada.

Bakery goods. 
Bread.  Buns.
In plastic wrap.
The wrap that isn't allowed in the blue box program they developed with other industry "heavies".

Outrageous!

Even this senior--in a letter to the editor today--expressed disgust at this poorly designed system.  Excerpts from the letter follow:

"An open letter to Environment Minister Mary Polak about reycling bins and MMBC.  

I received the two blue boxes.  They are so heavy that I will never be able to carry them when filled.  I am 76 years old.  How am I going to get them down the eight concrete steps to the sidewalk in good weather, never mind at 7 a.m. in the winter with the snow and ice?

...Because you will not accept some of the plastics that we are already recycling very nicely, I have to find a place to store plastics as well, until I can also take them to a depot.

The blue bags worked perfectly.  I could carry the bag, sometimes with difficulty, but at worst I could drag it.  The material was kept clean and dry.

I cannot tell you just how angry I am about this new system, as are my friends and neighbours.   

...I cannot carry the blue boxes with anything in them, so I will not be using them.  Neither will my senior or disabled friends.  You have effectively shut down recycling for us and we will certainly all remember this come election time."  
Jean Collier  

"The corporate mafia screwed up," offers Kia.

They're responsible for what will happen...plastics will go back into landfills, unfortunately.

The blue boxes?
They're good plant pots for large specimens.

2 comments:

  1. Things are always more "complicated' than they seem. Shawn Lee a Vernon taxpayer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia, official Greeter at Highlands GolfMay 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM

    The public would like to be apprised of the "complications" that made this program such a sham. Those multinational corporations are akin to an archaic "Old Boys' Club" that cares only for self-serving interests. They care nothing for the public's inconvenience, let alone the other corporations--albeit smaller--in B.C. who are being gouged by the cost/tonnage rates the Old Boys Club has set. I'm stunned that the Premier of B.C. didn't see through the smoke 'n mirrors of this program.

    ReplyDelete

Share YOUR thoughts here...