Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Spring's Beauty


My 30+ year old Bird of Paradise promises to be lovely very soon.  Its label all those years ago was "White Strelitzia", and when it finally bloomed seven or eight years later, I was thrilled to see that the label had been wrong.  It was the magnificent blue/orange variety that I had wanted!  Getting excited to see its progress.  Won't be long now...

Can't wait....for this Bird of Paradise to open!



And an underappreciated little easy to grow flower is the Rose Campion, with its single hot pink flower held high above velvety leaves.  It reproduces readily from seed but is NEVER invasive, and any plants that pop up in unwanted spots can be easily pulled--thanks to shallow roots--and disposed of.

Rose Campion...easy care, lovely and soft-leaved



Another old-timer is those Rhododendron, easily 45 years old (I brought it with us from Vancouver!).
Blooms are almost done in this photo.  After the severe cold of February, I felt it might be "a goner", but not so!

Fading blooms on the very old Rhododendron...



A lovely little Clematis--I think it's Nellie Moser--doesn't climb high here--creates a lovely view through the patio door from the family room.

Clematis "Nellie Moser"



Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of the Paul's Scarlet Hawthorn when it was in full bloom...too busy I suppose.  Next year!




Spring's Beauty makes up for whatever ails us...any time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share YOUR thoughts here...